11.02.2010

Upset Tummy

So, we figured part of Flash's problems & nerves were because he was sick. Partially true. Vet + stool sample = bacterial infection in his tummy = metronidazole for 2 weeks and some prebiotics. Meds are done. Still continuing on the prebiotics for his tummy [OptaGest brand].

STILL having pudding coming out of his butt :( Bad. I've mixed in canned pumpking, oatmeal, eggs, yogurt. Kibble was originally Kirkland lamb & rice - which I've fed for YEARS to all my dogs & never had a problem. Recently switched/added in the new Kirkland food - the salmon & sweet potato grain free. Evie is absolutely SOLID. Perfect. I've mixed in dehydrated raw - always have - including Addiction & Honest Kitchen, Evangers & Merrick canned food, and just plain ol' ground beef or chicken.

Neither dog is a picky eater. Cautious - as Evie will sniff everything carefully before digesting as my guess is she's trying to ensure it's not poisoned - but they'll both eat and polish the bowls clean.

I'd really hate to switch from the Kirkland food. I've been happy with it. But, maybe it's time for a change as Flash's tummy can't handle it. I really DREAD having to do food experimentation now :( but I'm realizing it's unavoidable to get him feeling better.

Suggestions welcome!

2 comments:

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Might try a grain free. That would be one way to eliminate a category of ingredients that might be messing him up... maybe Taste of the Wild, Acana, or Canidae. All will be more expensive, but they will be about 100 calories more per cup so you will need to feed less of it.

Also, I'm guessing you did a fecal float, but you might just worm him regardless of test results.

Eliz said...

I feel for you, I hated finding a food that worked with my grey's digestion. It took us many attempts, over several months, trying different proteins, different grains, no grains ect. Most of which led to what I like to call pancake batter butt.

We finally settled on Acana grain free lamb. However, I've heard of a lot of greyhounds doing well on taste of the wild.

Good Luck, I hope his tummy gets better soon.