2.21.2009

Poor Evie

She's had the worst teeth, and sadly, I haven't had the money to get them fixed until now. Greyhounds are known to have bad teeth. Genetics mostly - some are blessed with fabulous teeth, others are not. It has nothing to do with NGA v. AKC breeding or anything like that. Just genetics.
I had saved enough last fall to get her teeth cleaned [and some likely pulled], but alas, I needed new tires for my car. Tires or pup? Well, if I crashed the car, I'd totally be SOL, so I went with tires. Saved up more $$ to get her teeth done.
And the results? Totally trust my vet - Dr. Kevin - who even has one of the puppies from the litter we had almost 18mo ago. Instead of 4 teeth [all pre-molars] being pulled, she had 4 pre-molars, 4 incisors, and 4 other teeth pulled = 12 total. [She also had a full senior blood panel, full mouth xrays and her nails lasered back beyond the quick to little nubbins...]
Evie is now at home, totally jacked up on tramadol, clavamox and metacam whilst recovering. Her face is swollen like a chipmunk who ate too many nuts and her tongue hangs out the right side of her mouth because of all the teeth pulled. The good thing? I swear it looks like Dr. Kevin used Crest Whitstrips on her teeth - fabulous! Also, I know that after she gets over the initial pain, her mouth won't hurt anymore [which I know was happening before] - and she'll be happy.

The cost? Hahaha. It pains me to say, so I won't burden anyone with that! Plus you all would pass out - like I almost did.


[Oh, and how 'bout that new pic of Evie this past fall in the title header? Dippin' her toes in the cool Snoqualmie River.]

2 comments:

IHateToast said...

You gave me a Blair Witch moment.

Sorry about Evie's teeth and the cost. At least she can't grow them back to do it all over again.

Tires first. Cars get you to the vet safely.

cindi said...

True true! She's recovering quite nicely right now. I feel horrible knowing she was in so much pain the first few days!

But now - she's got some bounce back in her bungee. She's perky. She's TOTALLY ENJOYING the moist canned food she has to eat for at least a week until her stitches come out.

All is well [and it's fun grossing out BF with her teeth in the bag]...